Jumat, 15 Juni 2012

Elliptical Sentence: But and While

bahasa inggris online gratis | Juni 15, 2012 |
Sebelumnya kita telah membahas Elliptical Sentence yang menggunakan Too dan So , either dan neither. Selain itu kita bisa juga membuat elliptical sentence dengan menggunakan but (tetapi) atau while (sedangkan). Dalam elliptical sentence, but dan while digunakan untuk kalimat yang berlawanan. Dengan kata lain, antara dua kalimat tersebut, kalimat pertama bisa negative, dan kalimat kedua positif atau sebaliknya. Contoh:

I can sing.                                                                      
He cannot sing.
Di atas terdapat dua kalimat yang berlawanan. “I can sing (saya bisa bernyanyi.)” dan “He cannot sing. (Dia tidak bisa bernyanyi.)”. Dua kalimat tersebut bisa kita buat menjadi kalimat elliptic dengan menggunakan but atau while, menjadi:
I can sing, but he can’t / I can sing while he can’t.
Contoh lainnya:
He cannot sing.
I can sing.
He cannot sing, but I can /  He cannot sing, but he can’t.
Berikut ini rumus membuat elliptical sentence dengan menggunakan but dan while.
  • (+) + But / While + (-)
  • (-) + But / While + (+)
+ = positif
- = negatif
Agar lebih paham, di bawah ini saya masukan contoh-contoh lainnya:
1. They went to Jambi.    I didn’t go to Jambi
     They went to Jambi, but I didn’t atau  They went to Jambi, while I didn’t.
    I didn’t go  to Jambi. They went go to Jambi.
    I didn’t go to Jambi, but they did. Atau I didn’t go to Jambi, while they did.
2. He watches  TV. She doesn’t watch TV.
    He watches TV, but she doesn’t. /He watches TV, while she doesn’t.
    She doesn’t  watch  TV. He watches TV.
    She doesn’t watch TV, but/while he does.
    She doesn’t watch TV. They watch TV.
    She doesn’t watch TV, but They do./ She doesn’t watch TV, while They do.
3. Tono is eating. Budi isn’t eating.
    Tono is eating, but Budi isn’t.  Atau Tono is eating, while Budi isn’t.
    Tono isn’t eating. Budi is eating.
    Tono isn’t eating, but Budi is. Atau Toni isn’t eating, while Budi is
    Rina is cleaning the floor. The boys aren’t  cleaning the floor..
    Rina is cleaning the floor, but/while the boys aren’t.
4. She has got up. He hasn’t got up.
    She has got up, but he hasn’t.  Atau She has got up, while he hasn’t.
    She hasn’t got up. He has got up.
    She hasn’t got up, but he has. Atau She hasn’t got up, while he has.
    He hasn’t slept. They have slept.
    He hasn’t slept, but they have. Atau He hasn’t slept, while they have.
5. I will take a bath. He will not take a bath.
    I will take a bath, but he won’t. Atau I will take a bath, while he won’t.
   I will not take a bath. He will take a bath.
   I will not take a bath, but he will. Atau I will not take a bath, while he will

Sekarang coba kerjakan latihan di bawah ini!
  1. They studied English last night. I didn’t study English last night.
  2. Siti Zulaiha sings a song. Rina doesn’t sing a song.
  3. John doesn’t wash the car. My father washes the car.
  4. We didn’t eat pizza . They ate pizza.
  5. The boy is playing. The girls are not playing.
  6. My sisters are clever. You sisters aren’t clever.
  7. Tono has written a story. Toni and Tina haven’t written a story.
  8. He hasn’t cooked. I  have cooked.
  9. He was here yesterday. You weren’t here yesterday.
  10. They were in Jambi last night. John wasn’t in Jambi last night.
Answer Key:
1. They studied English last night, but/while I didn’t. 2. Siti Zulaiha sings a song, but/while Rina doesn’t. 3. John doesn’t wash the car, but/while my father does. 4. We didn’t eat pizza, but/while they did. 5. The boy is playing, but/while the girls aren’t. 6. My sisters are clever, but/while your sisters aren’t. 7. Tono has written a story, but/while Toni and Tina haven’t. 8. He hasn’t cooked, but/while I have. 9. He was here yesterday, but/while you weren’t. 10. They were in Jambi last night, but/while John wasn’t.
Efendijbi
Belajar Bahasa Inggris Online Updated at: Juni 15, 2012